Community Action Program for Children
This program is for off Reserve Aboriginal families
The Community Action Program for Children 0-6yrs (CAP-C) at M’Wikwedong Native Cultural Resource Centre gives off reserve First Nations, Metis, and Inuit families the opportunity and services they need.
The Goal of the off reserve aboriginal component of the Brighter Futures CAP-C is to strengthen families and communities through lots of support. The aim of the program is to improve the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well being of off-reserve Aboriginal children ages 0-6yrs and their families. The centre is a safe space for off reserve aboriginal families to come together and learn more about parenting, life skills, cultural teachings, nutrition and so much more.
- Prenatal, infant and child nutrition and development
- Parenting skills/care giving skills
- Community development and healing
- Children living in low-income families
- Children experiencing developmental delays, social, emotional and behavior problems.
- Children living in teenage-parent families
- Abused and neglected children
- People who have or are likely to have at risk young children
- Court support when requested
- CAS Support when requested
- Advocate on behalf of client with other local services providers when asked.
- Referrals to other agencies and culturally appropriate treatment centres.
- Transportation to programming, doctor’s appointments and hospital visits within the city limits of Owen Sound.
- Home visits as requested.
- Food bags as requested by the client.
Early Learning Play Group:
This is an open play group for children 0-6 years. Crafts, stories, learning activities, and a snack are provided.
Aboriginal Moms Group:
Aboriginal, Métis, and Inuit moms and children are welcome to join us on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 10am – 12pm. * Please note that this month; the group will be meeting at the Kelso Splash pad to enjoy some water fun time and a healthy picnic.
Meet us for the month f July at the loading docks by the Bayshore and we’ll enjoy a time out in the 10 person canoe.
Young Mom’s Group:
This group is for young moms at heart. It’s a social time for moms and children to come and share in their life’s experiences and let the children play with others.
Bring in any craft projects that you’re working on (scrapbooks, sewing, knitting, etc.). Some weeks we will have special projects available. A play area and weekly crafts are available for children.
Healthy Beginnings (Wiarton)
Join us bi-weekly at the St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church on Gould Street. We have fun keeping active, cooking healthy foods, making crafts and spending time getting to know others in the community!
Fun with Food:
This program is designed for parent and child to work together to create healthy and nutritious food. Children learn about cutting, shredding, ripping, counting, measuring and so much more. Please arrive at 10am to ensure that we have enough food for everyone and can get started promptly.
La Leche League:
This program is intended for mothers of breastfeeding babes and mom’s who have breastfed in the past. Moms are able to talk about breastfeeding, bring concerns, questions and happy stories.